I completed the Franklin Covey's mission statement generator, and while it created some good points, I found it to be too lengthy to be effective as a mission statement. I continued to ponder what I value in education as a leader and what I hope to accomplish in that role. I woke up the other night and quickly jotted down the following: "To foster a community of collaboration and innovation that focuses on building positive relationships and educating the whole child." I think I have a start, but I don't know if this encompasses everything I see as role and responsibility of a principal.
I continued to work on this looking for some examples and found:
Jim Warnock, Principal at Alma Intermediate School
- Professional Mission Statement:
- I believe that educators have the power to change the direction of young lives and have a positive effect on the lives of future generations.
- Teaching and learning require planning, enthusiasm, desire, time and effort. I have great respect and appreciation for teachers and their work.
- Learning is a joyous and never ending process that leads to successful living and has a positive impact on our families and communities. I must set the example as a lifelong learner if I expect students, parents, and teachers to be continuous learners.
- As a school principal, I am ultimately responsible for the learning, safety, and emotional growth of our students and teachers. Only by working with every part of the community can I meet this responsibility. Working together we can provide the best possible education for all of our children.
- “The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet”. – Frederick Buechner
There are several points in there that I really like and would like to incorporate into my work as an educator and Admin. My issue with this and others I found were how lengthy they were. I continue to think of Mission and Vision statements as things that you can easily remember. I have worked in a few school districts and honestly couldn't recite any of the Mission or Vision statements.
This task has really made me think about what should be in a Mission and Vision statement. I have contemplated the purpose and continue to struggle with what a good Mission statement should include and look like. I am looking for assistance. I am hoping you might share your own Mission statement, or might be interested in hearing what other awesome educators have come up with. I am asking not just for myself, but for the other Admin candidates in our course #Viterbo635 and all educators looking for inspiration as they continue to grow as leaders whether in the classroom or in other roles as champions of students and change.
I appreciate your consideration and if you are willing to share, you could send your written Mission or create a short selfie video that you can share using #Viterbo635 on Twitter or email me at email@example.com and I will post here.