My daughter is going to venture to our state capital in the next couple of weeks and my wife bless her soul has volunteered to be one of the chaperones. Today I met with our curriculum personnel to discuss virtual field trips and talk about how these experiences can connect to curriculum. That was a really good conversation and one that I hope continues as it can provide students opportunities they wouldn't otherwise be able to be part of.
The premise tonight is to use Google My Maps and work collaboratively to create potential field trip opportunities for our students. We will discuss local destinations that we may go ourselves, or places we think are good for students. We will look at places that we would like to go that may or may not be out of reach. Destinations and why they are worth visiting will be at the heart of this conversation. Finally we will explore ideas to make those far off places more reachable for our students.
We will try to color code them to help us with differentiating the pins and topics.
- Where have you traveled that you could share stories about your destination? = BLUE
- Places in your state that are worth venturing to. = RED
- Places you have taken students to on field trips. = GREEN
- Places you would like to be able to take students to - maybe too far away. = Orange
- Places you know have Virtual Field Trips, or Experts who could do a Skype or GHO with students. = Purple
- Places you are curious about. = free choice even add a custom icon or image
here is the link to the map